Looking for FIV texts

vickie cooper vcooper at unlinfo.unl.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:29:37 EST 1995

mattymcd at aol.com (MattyMcD) writes:

>Hello All!

>     I was wondering if anyone here has seen any books relating to Feline
>Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV)? If so, I would love to get a citation and
>comments from you. Thank you.

>Matt McDonald
>MattyMcD at aol.com   or
>MMcDonal at microimmun.medsch.ucla.edu

Your question caused me look in most of my small animal medical texts
and brought me to the conclusions that despite graduating from Vet
School in '91, I am now outdated.  However, the newer editions of
Ettinger's Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, and Greene's
Clinical Microbiology should both have good updated information in
them.  The newest edition of Jubb and Kennedy's Pathology of Domestic
Animals has good material, but it is covered through all three volumes
under various anatomical headings.  Otherwise the following are some
articles you may be interested in rounding up and taking a look at.

O'Connor TP, et.al. 1989, J Clinical Microbiol 27:474-479. Development
and evaluation of immunoassay for detection of antibodies to feline
T-lymphotropic lentivirus (FIV)

Lin DS, et al. 1990, Vet Immunol Immunopathol 26:183-189. Suppression
of lymphocyte blastogenesis to mitogens in cats infected with FIV.

Yamamoto JK, et.al. 1988. Am J. Vet Res 49:1246-1258. Pathogenesis of
experimentally induced FIV infection in cats.

Shelton GH, et.al. 1990. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr  3: 623-630.
FIV and FELV infections and their relationship to lymphoid
malignancies in cats.

If you have any other questions I'd be glad to help if I'm able.
But don't expect to much (=: I'm a pathologist not a virologist.

V.L. Cooper DVM
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Veterinary Diagnostic Center

"Reason can answer questions, but imagination has to ask them"
     					Ralph Gerard