Forget Ebola-what about the flu?

Karl Fischer kfischer at
Wed Feb 15 15:28:21 EST 1995

In article <3htmid$p4s at>, squan at (Steve
Quan) wrote:
<Stuff deleted>

>Isn't that a virus that mutates every year?

Not sure...let me check my calendar ;-)

Variations which arise to present as "new" or "novel" to one's immune
system occurs all the time...not just on an annual cycle as you might

> Given enough time couldn't it mutate into something really new?

Define what you mean by "really new" - more pathogenic, broadened host
range, new or different tissue tropism?????

>Added to the enormous amount of modern travel it would certainly spread

Not just influenza but all infectious agents which do not require a
specific vector for transmission (eg. insect, arthropod)....Ahhhh...better
dissemination through technology.

Karl Fischer
kfischer at
tyr-2 at