Ozone, ribavirin for Hepatitis C?

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sat Feb 18 15:04:04 EST 1995

In article <D466DM.Hyy at freenet.carleton.ca>, at491 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
(Kim Goldberg) wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about ozone therapy as a treatment for
> HCV?  An individual on misc.health.alternative said "ozone kills
> the virus."  Apparently the Linus Pauling Institute in Palo Alto
> has more information.  (I'm looking for that address.)

 As I recall, ozone can kill the virus (and others) when examined in vitro
but I know of no current ozone therapy being used in humans.

> Does anyone know anything about ribaviran, an anti-viral agent
> being tried by some HCV people?  Is this Virazol?

Can't say if ribavirin is Virazol but here is some "hits" from a keyword
search of HCV and ribavirin.

>  1. Interferon therapy in chronic hepatitis C virus infection.   Weiland O.
      FEMS Microbiology Reviews.  14(3):279-88, 1994 Jul.

   2. A pilot study of combination therapy with ribavirin plus interferon
      alfa for interferon alfa-resistant chronic hepatitis C.   Brillanti S.
      Gastroenterology.  107(3):812-7, 1994 Sep.

   3. Ribavirin in the treatment of chronic hepatitis C unresponsive to alfa
      interferon.   Camps J.  Garcia N.  Riezu-Boj JI.  Civeira MP.  Prieto
      Journal of Hepatology.  19(3):408-12, 1993 Nov.

   4. Hepatitis C viral RNA titers in serum prior to, during, and after oral
      treatment with ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C.   Reichard O.  Yun
      Journal of Medical Virology.  41(2):99-102, 1993 Oct.

   5. A pilot study of ribavirin and interferon beta for the treatment of
      chronic hepatitis C.   Kakumu S.  Yoshioka K.  Wakita T.  Ishikawa T.
      Gastroenterology.  105(2):507-12, 1993 Aug.

   6. Treatment of chronic viral hepatitis.   Dusheiko GM.  Zuckerman AJ.
      Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy.  32 Suppl A:107-20, 1993 Jul.

   7. Changes in hepatitis C virus antigen in liver with antiviral therapy.
      Di Bisceglie AM.  Hoofnagle JH.  Krawczynski K.
      Gastroenterology.  105(3):858-62, 1993 Sep.

   8. Historical treatment of chronic hepatitis B and chronic hepatitis C.
      Ferenci P.
      Gut.  34(2 Suppl):S69-73, 1993.

   9. Hepatitis C: an update.   Merican MI.
      Medical Journal of Malaysia.  47(3):158-69, 1992 Sep.

  10. A pilot study of ribavirin therapy for chronic hepatitis C.   Di
      Bisceglie AM.  Shindo M.  Fong TL.  Fried MW.  Swain MG.  Bergasa NV.
      Hepatology.  16(3):649-54, 1992 Sep.

  11. Ribavirin treatment for chronic hepatitis C [see comments].   Reichard
      O.  Andersson J.  Schvarcz R.  Weiland O.
      Lancet.  337(8749):1058-61, 1991 May 4.
Hope this helps

Karl

--