[Ebola]

Angelika M Longacre longacre at selway.umt.edu
Tue Feb 28 19:52:15 EST 1995

Your comment that organisms which kill 90% of its hosts are adapting to
their hosts implies that eventually, the organism will become less
virulent.  I wonder if you are aware of the book "Evolution of Infectious
Disease" written by Paul W. Ewald which addresses the holes in the
well-accepted notion that parasites and hosts evolve toward
coexistence.  Also, as one example of a parasite which has been found to
be more virulent to its natural host, I refer you to
Ebert, Dieter. 1994. Virulence and Local Adaptation of a Horizontally
Transmitted Parasite. Science. 265:1084-1086.
I think it is important to address the possibility that the potential for
a disease that could devastate human populations is real and we should be
discussing our role in promoting the emergence of these diseases.
I refer mainly to our encroachment upon previously unpopulated, or
unfarmed lands.

Angelika Longacre