cOMING pLAGUE

saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Wed Jan 4 11:22:55 EST 1995

 Issan <issan at aol.com> wrote:
>Having read the Hot Zone, just a little bit
>Michael-Crichton-&-Stephen-King-ish, but all believable.  Is the Coming
>Plagues worth the time or just a millenialist alarm clock ringing?

I also just read this book, and found it to be interesting. However, I
had to take it with a grain of salt. Supposedly Laurie Garrett is the
"premier" mainstream AIDS journalist out there, yet the scant immunology
presented in the
book is at least 8 years out of date! I know this from working in this
field, so it makes me wonder what might be wrong with areas I am not well
versed in, such
as epidemiology. Also, several important emerging diseases, such as hepatitis C,
are hardly even described.(Not surprising though, since it has received very
little lay press, and she seemed to limit herself to those "sexy" diseases).
One other thing I noticed, Garrett seemed to show a bias in mentioning sources
with a Harvard affiliation, which seems a little small minded. Therefore, I do
recommend this book, if only for its vivid gore, but not for its
comprehensive- ness, or scientific accuracy. Just my thoughts...

Brett Lindenbach
Lucille P. Markey Student in Human Pathobiology
Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu