HSVII

John Brunstein brunstei at UNIXG.UBC.CA
Tue Jan 10 13:25:48 EST 1995

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Giovanni Maga wrote:

> In article <001303Z10011995 at anon.penet.fi>, an172190 at anon.penet.fi wrote:
>

> > My daughter contracted HSVII from a former boyfriend. She is extremely
> > depressed and reasons that no self-respecting man could ever want her as
> > a partner if he knew about this problem. Is there any cause for optimism
> > in terms of a cure (she uses acyclovir)? In the near future? Thank you
> > for any info.

> > To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
> > Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
> > and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
> > Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.
>
> ACV is still the best drug in clinical use, but maybe we are not too far
> from finding out more effective drugs (I will not say anything about a
> vaccine, even if there is a formidable effort in this direction). If (as I
> understood) your daughter is just serum-positive, she can look at life with
> optimism: it is not said that she will develop AIDS, and even so, it can
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
	Woah! Hold on!The original message said the infection was HSV --
that's Herpes Simplex, not HIV!   As far as being HSV positive, it's my
understanding that it's really pretty minor, for most people it rarely
flares up and even when it does it's hardly life-threatening.  As to the
original posting, it might make the daugter feel a little better to know
that it's really rather common...that's what causes cold sores, and I
seem to remember a statistic that something better than half the
population of the western world will display these at least once.  As far
as viral diseases go, it's one of the less nasty ones and hardly
something to blight someone's life.