HSVII

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Tue Jan 10 13:04:26 EST 1995

In article <001303Z10011995 at anon.penet.fi>, an172190 at anon.penet.fi wrote:

> My daughter contracted HSVII from a former boyfriend. She is extremely
> depressed and reasons that no self-respecting man could ever want her as
> a partner if he knew about this problem. Is there any cause for optimism
> in terms of a cure (she uses acyclovir)? In the near future? Thank you
> for any info.

> To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
> Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
> and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
> Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.

ACV is still the best drug in clinical use, but maybe we are not too far
from finding out more effective drugs (I will not say anything about a
vaccine, even if there is a formidable effort in this direction). If (as I
understood) your daughter is just serum-positive, she can look at life with
optimism: it is not said that she will develop AIDS, and even so, it can
happen in years. The problem of social relationships is extremely serious
(depending also where you are living). The only thing I can say is that if
her future companion really loves her, then the problem will be solved. You
can have relationships (even sexual) with a partner with a sufficient
opened mind and being carefully. But I do not want to elude the problem:
your daughter will suffer and she need your help as well as the help from
people who understand that avoiding HIV infected people does not protect
themselves neither helps who is suffering.
All the best.