Francisco Muril Zerbini fmzerbini at UCDAVIS.EDU
Tue Jan 10 21:29:28 EST 1995

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Giovanni Maga wrote:

> In article <001303Z10011995 at anon.penet.fi>, an172190 at anon.penet.fi wrote:
> >
> > My daughter contracted HSVII from a former boyfriend. She is extremely
> > depressed and reasons that no self-respecting man could ever want her as
> > a partner if he knew about this problem. Is there any cause for optimism
> > in terms of a cure (she uses acyclovir)? In the near future? Thank you
> > for any info.
> >
> ACV is still the best drug in clinical use, but maybe we are not too far
> from finding out more effective drugs (I will not say anything about a
> vaccine, even if there is a formidable effort in this direction). If (as I
> understood) your daughter is just serum-positive, she can look at life with
> optimism: it is not said that she will develop AIDS, and even so, it can

Ok, ok, so I'm just a plant virologist, but if I remember well HSV is
Herpes Simplex Virus, and not HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). And
herpes is far from being a life-treatening, devastating disease like AIDS.
But I will pass the word to the animal virologists and M.D.'s as to the
real importance of this virus.

Murilo Zerbini
Dep. of Plant Pathology
University of California, Davis