plant viruses

Ana-rene Bolton YAYV60A at prodigy.com
Sun Jan 15 22:53:05 EST 1995

onenight at rain.org  wrote:

>Please excuse a layman's question, but is there an incedence in
virology
>where a plant virus can be transmitted to an animal?
>
>I appreciate your patience and any reply would be appreciated.
>
>one night in the rain
>onenight at rain.com

I'm a layman too, but I remember reading that animal viruses can have the
ability to cross-infect other species.  I don't know if that would hold
for plant viruses, but I can see no reason why not if the virus utilizes
a substance common to both plants and animals.  That does NOT mean
however, that the virus will be able to cause DISEASE in the cross-
infected species, but it may also be possible for the virus to develop
the ability to cause disease in its new host.

Hope this helps.