Plant viruses affecting animals

Cris Woolston C.J.Woolston at applied-biology.hull.ac.uk
Tue Jan 17 04:41:31 EST 1995

>If I remember well
>this ability is important while "classify" them in "taxonomy" groups.
>If they replicate in the vector they are named to be "persistent" if
>they do not... well NON-PERSISTENT

Sorry to be picky, but the term PERSISTENT relates to the fact that the
virus persists in the insect vector - ie is not lost on moulting. It is not
safe to assume that this means that the virus is replicating. Within the
PERSISTENT grouping there are two subgroups; CIRCULATIVE and PROPAGATIVE.
As these names suggest the PROPAGATIVE viruses are actually replicating,
whearas the CIRCULATIVE ones are not (as far as we know).

There are cases of transovarial transmission - ie from parent to offspring.

If you want a good starting point for some reading you can't do much better
than Chapter 14 of 'Plant Virology', by REF Matthews (3rd Edition) 1991,
Academic press, ISBN 0-12-480553-1

Cheers,

Cris

:  Dr. Cris Woolston                                                      :
:  Department of Applied Biology                                          :
:  University of Hull, Cottingham Road, Hull HU6 7RX, UK                  :

:  RFC-822: C.J.Woolston at applied-biology.hull.ac.uk                       :
:  X.400:   I=CJ;S=Woolston;OU=applied-biology;O=Hull;PRMD=UK.AC;C=GB     :
:  Tel:     +44 1482-465549  Fax:     +44 1482-465458                     :