virus debate-help needed

Bart_Corsaro_at_USLRMG01 at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM Bart_Corsaro_at_USLRMG01 at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM
Fri Jan 20 11:53:35 EST 1995

Steve wrote

>My reflection on that is that while viruses do "reproduce" thus extending
>their genetic information in time, and subject to selection pressure,
>they do not meet the criteria set forth scribbled in the margin of notes
>from one of my own biology classes: "to live is to excrete".  -Steve Harwood

I would disagree that viruses do not "excrete" (i.e. form waste products).
Whereas human waste product are more visible viruses  form waste on a much
smaller scale.  For example, I would consider ADP and AMP the waste products of
ATP.  So from your own definition I would consider viruses living but very
parasitic organisms.

Bart Corsaro
Lederle-Praxis Biologicals
West Henrietta, NY 14586-9728