NANB / HCV

saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Fri Jan 20 12:44:46 EST 1995

>Is Hepatitis Non A, Non B the same as Hepatitis C, or are we talking about
>two seperate conditions?
>

>Sarah
>
>Never try to teach a pig to sing.
>It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Well, there are other viruses besides A, B, C. The D (delta) virus is actually
a very small defective virus(?) which requires HBV for packaging. HEV and even
a new F particle have been described. However, most NANB can be attributable
to HCV by diagnostic testing, at least at this point.The discovery of HCV
in the late '80s was important because for a long time, large numbers of
infectious hepatitis cases could not be ascribed to the A- or B- viruses,
thus the nomenclature NANB.  I noticed another post (bhjelle at unm.edu)
points out that it has been difficult to get a handle on absolute infection
numbers, as there are many asymptomatic incidences.

Brett Lindenbach
Lucille P. Markey Student in Human Pathobiology
Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu