(none)

Michael J. Motal tilion at netcom.com
Fri Jan 20 22:43:27 EST 1995

Bruce Phillips (bap at MED.PITT.EDU) wrote:
: 	Someone recently asked about smallpox virus.  This virus has
: no reservoir in nature except man.  Wipe out all disease- there are

I do not favor the destruction of the existing stocks simply because
there is no *known* reservoir in nature.  I think it is unwise to
categorically state that small pox does not exist *anywhere* on this
planet except in the two labs.  For a corollary, look at Ebola Zaire.  No
one knows where or what the natural reservoir of this virus is, yet it
does manage to break out from time to time in humans.

What does disturb me is that the stores of small pox in the former Soviet
Union are not kept in a very secure area.  I would feel much more
comfortable if the only stocks were buried behind the security gates at
the CDC.  But I don't foresee the Russians giving up the stocks they have
any time soon.  To do so would further batter their national pride.
tilion at netcom.com

T6C8L2s hl d- a- w-- c+ yk+ s- m1 m2 q-