Crossed purposes

Charles H Calisher CCalisher at VINES.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Jan 24 14:59:53 EST 1995

This in response to Mark Lilly's question as to what are the purposes of
viruses.

I ask Mark, why do they need a purpose.  Do you have a purpose?  Do I?
Because we are not thologians, let's leave superstitions out of the argument.
Makes answering Mark's question a tad harder, eh?

If, as Duncan McGeoch says, "Viruses are mistletoe on the Tree of Life", we
can all shut down our screens and go have a beer.

I certainly am tired of trying to find a purpose for everything.  I can't
even remember why I had two of my children.  Doesn't mean I don't love them
as much as I love the others.

Charlie Calisher