Mind viruses

Andrew, Tel. +39-6-91093434 WALLACE at IRBM.IT
Wed Jan 25 12:24:14 EST 1995

In bionet.virology Msg # 1385
Rod Pennington wrote in reply to a comment by Denni Schnapp:

[cut]

>In which case we are looking at a replicating set of information
>or instructions.  This reminds me of reading that chain letters
>can be looked at as viral in nature. A chain letter is, like a virus,
>a set of information/instructions which requires a host for replication.
>A chain letter's host is the human mind (as opposed to the organic brain,
>per se).  Chain letters can undergo mutation (ie, typos,etc.) which
>alters chain letter "fitness" (defined in terms of the chain letter's
>ability to infect new hosts).
>
>Anyway, it seemed like an interesting idea.  I cannot remember where
>I saw this discussed.  Perhaps it was here on the Virology list.

I first saw this idea put forward in a letter to the Scientific Correspondence
section of Nature a few months ago. Perhaps it was there that you saw it?
I don't remember having seen it on the virology list before that.
By the way, I think this is a very interesting thread.

Andrew
   Andrew Wallace, IRBM P. Angeletti, Pomezia, Italy.

               Voice: +39-6-91093434
               Fax:   +39-6-91093225
               Email: wallace at irbm.it

         "IRBM - The home of the Minibody"