VZV latency: animal models?

jplin at husc3.harvard.edu jplin at husc3.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 25 01:16:28 EST 1995

Hello, out there!

     I've read in reviews and even recent journal article introductions
that there is no animal model for VZV latency.  However, I stumbled upon
a paper in Microbial Pathogenesis (Aug 1993, Wroblewska et al.)
describing "A mouse model for varicella-zoster virus latency."
The abstract seems to indicate the use of corneal inoculation
(as is, I believe, used in some HSV systems) and persistence of virus
at day 33 p.i.
     How have people in the VZV field responded to this report?
Is it in wide use or easy to use?
     Any feedback would be appreciated!

Jeff