polybrene question

Matthew Dougals Koff mkoff at coos.dartmouth.edu
Fri Jan 27 18:12:26 EST 1995

In article <3gbe7h$3d2 at hsc.usc.edu>, chale at hsc.usc.edu (Chuckles) wrote:

> zxy5 at po.CWRU.Edu (Zafer Yildirim) writes:
>
> >We are using recombinant retroviruses for gene transfer to some
> >mammalian cells. We include polybrene during the infection of
> >these cells with the viruses. Can somebody tell
> >me how polybrene works to enhance infection?
> >Thanks in advance.
>
> The theory that I have heard is that polybrene coats membranes and thus
shields
> the negative charges on the surface.  This allows membranes to come together
> more easily and facilitates viral fusion.  Unfortunately I don't have
any referances
> that support this, but you do see enhanced cell-cell fusion in the presence of
> polybrene which gives some support to this idea.  Hope this helps a little.
>
>                                         Charles Hale
>                                         USC Department of Biochem.
>                                         "No Pain, No Pain!!!"

I did a bunch of projects for my Master's thesis using Retroviral Vectors
and I found a reference that described basically what Charles Hale just
said.  I will look it up and get it to you. Don't have my Thesis on me
now. But will get back to you.

Matt
Dartmouth Medical School
See ya' on the slopes...