polybrene question

Matthew Dougals Koff mkoff at coos.dartmouth.edu
Tue Jan 31 12:28:04 EST 1995

In article <D33KJu.5I8 at ncifcrf.gov>, tobin at fcs260c.ncifcrf.gov (Greg
Tobin) wrote:

> While we're on the subject of retrovirus vectors, could we accumulate a list
> of cells/cell lines that various viruses infect and those that are
> resistent?
>
> For example, the amphitropic line used most often with the Dusty
> Miller vectors produces virus that infect a wide variety of cell.  These
> I would like to design vectors that infect some less common cell lines -
> Cf2Th (canine thymus)
> EREp (rabbit embryonic epithelial)
> BLAC-20 (bovine leukocyte adherent)
>
> Any guesses on whether these will infect?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Greg Tobin, Ph.D.                        tobin at lcms-1.ncifcrf.gov

Greg-

Some contoversy exists wether the murine based rvect. can infect bovine
cell lines. Two papers have said no, can only infect bovine embryonic
cells.  THis past summer I definately infected bovine kidney epithelial
cells. The MDBK line.  Unfortunately the viral construct did not express
the gene product we had hoped. We wanted to express an altered milk
protein gene.  The construct did effectively express neor gene so we were
able to select them.  A  northern blot also confirmed this expression.
Our milk protein gene was not that succesful though.  The picture is
cloudy though. Some papers feel that the bovine cells actually have a
mechanism of blocking murine retroviral infection. I did nothing special
but was very careful in my selection and cell growth.  A cotransfected the
3t3 cell line along with the MDBKs so it wasn't a quircky phonomenon. My
advisor wants to repeat and get a little more succesful expression data
before publishing.  A can give you references for a few articles on the
subject if you want?  Canine(not sure which ones)cells were able to be
infected, and I am sure you won't have any problems with the rabbit
embryonic cell line.

Let me know-

Matt