primase

James Gibbs gibbs at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 31 22:41:52 EST 1995

Jean-Paul cadoret (jpcadore at ifremer.fr) wrote:
: Hi netters

: The sv40 doesn't repilcates only in monkey, right ?
: have the factors responsible for this specificity identified ?
:  have they been cloned. Is the primase the only one ?

There are two human viruses that are very, very close in sequence, if not
identical to SV40. One is called JK virus I think (JC?), the other's name
escapes me. One infects the kidney, the other infects the brain. Sorry I
couldn't be more certain. Maybe someone else here knows.

Then there was also that incident where thousands of people were
accidentally infected with SV40 that was a contaminant in monkey
kidney-prepared vaccine. So it can infect humans.

As far as factors being cloned, the whole virus is less than 10kb and the
whole thing has been cloned.

Jim Gibbs                                         gibbs at fas.harvard.edu