Arbovirus danger?

Edward T. Clayson eclays at mozart.inet.co.th
Mon Jul 3 03:14:14 EST 1995

In article <3sog39$9uk at usenet.srv.cis.pitt.edu>, ajmst37 at vms.cis.pitt.edu wrote:

> hello,
> just doing some reading on arboviruses, and I was wondering just how
> worried people in the U.S. should be.  Is it true that the Aedes Aegyptes
> (sp?) mosquito is in the U.S.?

YES

>Is this not the same mosquito that carries yellow fever and Dengue fever?

YES,  at least for Dengue, I'm not sure about yellow fever.

>Since the attempted malaria eradication, are all mosquitos immune to most
pesticides,

NO

>or is that still the best way to prevent arbovirus outbreaks?

YES

> By the way, how long has Dengue been around, and could it really become
> a serious problem in the U.S.?

The dengue virus has been around as long as viruses have been around.
Dengue was the second virus to be discovered.  Dengue virus was a serious
problem in the southern part of the U.S. until about 1940 -1950.  The U.S.
Army has been working on developing vaccines for Dengue for about 70
years.

> Very curious,
>
> Andrew=AJMST37 at vms.cis.pitt.edu

I hope this helps.