Help on HIV proteins - vif, vpr, vpu

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 4 12:30:20 EST 1995

In a previous article, p_travers at (Paul J Travers) says:

>Can anyone tell me what the HIV proteins vif, vpr and vpu actually do?  Or
>point me at the relevant literature.  I really need a relatively simple
>explanation - it's for a textbook for medical students :-)

In very basic terms, the proteins mentioned above are thought to perform
the following functions:

_Gene_    _Protein_                 _Putative functions_

 vif        p23        Virion Infectivity Factor: promotes infectivity of
                          cell-free virions.
 vpr        p15        Viral Protein R: weakly activates transcription
 vpu        p16        Viral Protein U: required for efficient viral
                          assembly and budding from host cells; in HIV-2,
                          vpx is an analogous protein.

These are functions that have been experimentally observed, and probably
do not cover the entire extent of their true functions.

Prateek Lala
University of Toronto
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings