Help on HIV proteins - vif, vpr, vpu

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 4 12:30:20 EST 1995

In a previous article, p_travers at icrf.icnet.uk (Paul J Travers) says:

>Can anyone tell me what the HIV proteins vif, vpr and vpu actually do?  Or
>point me at the relevant literature.  I really need a relatively simple
>explanation - it's for a textbook for medical students :-)

In very basic terms, the proteins mentioned above are thought to perform
the following functions:

_Gene_    _Protein_                 _Putative functions_

 vif        p23        Virion Infectivity Factor: promotes infectivity of
                          cell-free virions.
 vpr        p15        Viral Protein R: weakly activates transcription
 vpu        p16        Viral Protein U: required for efficient viral
                          assembly and budding from host cells; in HIV-2,
                          vpx is an analogous protein.

These are functions that have been experimentally observed, and probably
do not cover the entire extent of their true functions.

Prateek Lala
University of Toronto
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings