virus books

justin at centcon.com justin at centcon.com
Sat Jul 8 15:47:44 EST 1995

>   graffius at bio.fsu.edu (Karen Graffius-Ashcraft) writes:
>    _The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of
>  Balance_ by Laurie Garrett, published by Farrar, Straus and Grioux
>  New York 1994.  $25.00 hardback, but 622 pages of extremely well written
>  text (aimed at an intellegent general audience).  It is well
>  documented (105 pages of endnotes) and a fascinating and gripping
>  read!

	I agree! The Coming Plague is a great book if you want to know more than just the "naked eye" aspect of
emerging viruses. It includes a diverse view of both the clinical and epidemiological view of many deadly diseases. It
is well worth the $25.00. However, unless you are willing to read more technical descriptions of viruses, The Coming
Plague might not be for you. It does have the drama stories of those infected, but it also includes descriptions of
DNA and RNA makeup for the viruses.
	Another great book that just came out is Ebola, by Dr. (??) Close, M.D. He was present in Yambuku in 1976
during the original outbreak. It contains the great story of the Flemish nuns who ran the hospital where the fever
emerged. It is not as long as the Coming Plague, but it is better if you are looking for more of the personal aspect of
the outbreak. Plus, this book is only $5.99 and is available in paperback, unlike the Coming Plague.
	Does anyone have any good books concering viruses that they have seen/read lately?

			Justin