Ebola Zaire

Mark Van Alstine mvanalst at rbi.com
Tue Jul 11 10:06:00 EST 1995

In article <892480909wnr at panoptic.demon.co.uk>, Blade at panoptic.demon.co.uk
wrote:

> Sorry if this topic is in flow somewhere else but I've only just joined
> this channel.
>
> Due to a distinct media apathy about this topic is any one able to
> inform me of the situation in Zaire. Have any discoveries on the
> origins of this virus been discovered from this outbreak?

Steve,

The latest I've heard is that they think the origional victim of this
outbreak was a charcoal maker, who spent his time in the jungle, from the
outskirts of Kikwit. (He and his family died from the disease.) This would
imply that the worker contracted Ebola from an animal (or insect).
However, the CDC is just now recieving captured animal and insect samples
from the region, so no identification (or even if there will be one) has
been made to the natural vector as of yet.

Mark