The FLU

Mark Jude Hyman mh691292
Wed Jul 12 16:20:13 EST 1995

>> Influenza is mostly  a respiratory virus, which means if you have diarrhea
>> and vomitting, you don't have the flu, you have food poisoning.

>	Just a question:
>  So that means that there is not such thing as a "stomach flu"?
>  Then what causes the stomach flu?

I think that we're getting caught up in terminology here. "Stomach flu" is
generally used to indicate symptoms, not as a diagnosis. It's not meant to
indicate that someone is suffering from a case of "stomach influenza." There
are many other viruses that can infect the gastrointestinal tract. A number of
bacteria can also cause nausea or other g.i. problems.

Regardless, either influenza or the "stomach flu" will make your day less than
pleasant. :-)

-Mark-

Mark J. Hyman
Division of Molecular Virology