Ebola Zaire

Don Haut c601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu
Thu Jul 13 14:36:18 EST 1995

In article <892480909wnr at panoptic.demon.co.uk>, Blade at panoptic.demon.co.uk
wrote:

> Sorry if this topic is in flow somewhere else but I've only just joined
> this channel.
>
> Due to a distinct media apathy about this topic is any one able to
> inform me of the situation in Zaire. Have any discoveries on the
> origins of this virus been discovered from this outbreak?

I have just come from the ASV meeting.  There, Sanchez and Calain (CDC)
gave a talk on the current outbreak and state of knowlege about Ebola.
There were some other talks as well by some guys from USAMRID about
vaccine development efforts etc.  All of the presentations were very good
(especially Sanchez and Calain).  Here are some bottom lines.

1. the current outbreak seems to be over, no new cases since mid-late june.
2. mortallity of about 80%
3. No clues about the vector yet but still searching.
4. Control in Kikwit was very difficult because of poor sanitation.
5. Effots are continuing on vaccines, right now, lots of work being done
on      Bacculovirus expressed proteins.
6. One of the proteins seems to have what looks like an immunosuppresive area.
7. Tony Sanchez is skeptical about Ebola Reston being airborne.

Like I said before, these were good talks and posters.  For those of you
who dont know the names, Tony Sanchez is probably THE Ebola person on the
planet.

Don

Don Haut
Molecular Microbiology and Immunology