<None>

sbutcher at molbiol.ox.ac.uk sbutcher at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 14 04:47:48 EST 1995

re: the flu causing gastrointestinal symptoms......

I have seen nausea and stomach ache cited as being a occasional symptom of
infection with Influenza B - along with all the more 'normal'
symptoms. Unfortunately I don't have a reference to give at the moment.
It was in a book chapter surveying virulence in different influenza outbreaks
and was some years old. How the virus manages to cause this while being a
respiratory infection; I can only hazard a guess. Maybe it is a byproduct of
general 'system disturbance'.