Prion transmissibility

Naveed Panjwani n.panjwani at
Fri Jul 14 06:32:26 EST 1995

umfunk15 at (Duane James Funk) wrote:

> 3. Finally, and most importantly, this business about blood
> transmission.  From the papers I have read I think to myself 'Not Bloody
> Likely' (Pun intended).  Aren't prions transmitted primarily in neural
> tissue.

If you think about it, its logical that the infectious agent is blood
borne at some stage in non-human Prion disease. Sheep do not go in
for pituatary grafts, nor do they consume neurologically derived
foodstuffs. I hardly think there is a case for brain-brain contact,
unless you subscribe to a matter-energy transcendental mode of trans-

So you've got to have vascular entry at some point.