HIV reversal?

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Fri Jul 14 09:27:17 EST 1995

In a previous article, clc22 at columbia.edu (Christian Logan Coles) says:

>I remember hearing that maternal antibodies can circulate in a baby's
>blood stream for up to 14 months. I'm no virologist but could it be that
>the baby was never infected in the first place?

This is possible if antibody testing (ELISA) is the only test you perform.
For a positive HIV diagnosis to be made, blood sample that test positive
for HIV antibodies are subjected to PCR and/or Western blotting to detect
the presence of viral nucleic acids and/or proteins.  If these turn out
positive, then you can be pretty darned sure that the baby is indeed
infected (i.e., HIV+).

Prateek Lala
4th year Microbiology, University of Toronto
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings