Hepatitis and its forms,I need some information please

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Fri Jul 14 09:21:16 EST 1995

In a previous article, gax at wasatch.com (gax) says:

>	I would like some information concerning the different types and
>up to date protection methods.

Of the four major hepatitis viral infections (A, B, C, E), vaccines are
only available for Hep B and Hep C.  These are recombinant vaccines
(viral surface proteins secreted by genetically engineered yeast cells).
Vaccines are not yet available for Hep A or E, as far as I know.

In terms of general information about the viruses themselves and diseases,
here's what I can tell you:

      _Virus_		  _Family_		_Acute/Chronic_
    Hepatitis A		Picornaviridae		 usually acute
    Hepatitis B		Hepadnaviridae		 can be chronic
    Hepatitis C		Flaviviridae		 can be chronic
    Hepatitis D		viroid (not true virus)  only with Hep B
    Hepatitis E		Caliciviridae		 usually acute

HBV and HCV are the main concerns in North America today.  Both can be
transmitted by contact with contaminated blood, and are major problems in
blood banking.  The acute stage of infection involves severe hepatic
problems, and recurring symptoms may ultimately lead to liver failure.
Both HBV and HCV have been associated with hepatocellular carcinoma, a
type of liver cancer.  Between 2 and 10% of HBV infected adults develop
chronic liver disease, and maintain a carrier state.  Pregnant females
often transmit this infection to the fetus.

Look up these viruses in any good virology book.

Prateek Lala
4th year Microbiology, University of Toronto
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings