Hepatitis and its forms,I need some information please

Michael mink mmink at SERVER.NYBC.ORG
Fri Jul 14 12:47:24 EST 1995

On 14 Jul 1995, Prateek K. Lala wrote:

> In a previous article, gax at wasatch.com (gax) says:
..stuff removed...
> Of the four major hepatitis viral infections (A, B, C, E), vaccines are
> only available for Hep B and Hep C.  These are recombinant vaccines
> (viral surface proteins secreted by genetically engineered yeast cells).
> Vaccines are not yet available for Hep A or E, as far as I know.
 ...stuff deleted...
> Prateek Lala
> 4th year Microbiology, University of Toronto
> --

Most of her response was accurate, but Prateek made a simple
error when stating there is a vaccine for HCV and not for HAV.  In fact,
there is a vaccine for HAV and there is not one for HCV.  Her
classifications were not confused.

M. Mink
Dept. of Virology & Parasitology
New York Blood Center