Hepatitis and its forms,I need some information please

alan.r.wald at support.com alan.r.wald at support.com
Sat Jul 15 03:52:56 EST 1995

Repeating a correction someone else also made. Hepatits C vaccine is NOT
availble. Hepatitis B vaccine has been for several years and the Hepatits A is
recently available in in the USA.

It is true that blood bank testing for antibodies to Hepatitis C has begun a
few years ago.

The Smith Kline Beecham HAVRIX (R) brand Hepatitis A vaccine is made in the
following way ( I quote from the package isnert) " The virus (strain HM175) is
propagated in MRC human diploid cells. After removal of cell culture medium,
the cells are lysed to form a suspension, then purified and concentrated by
ultrafiltration and gel chromatography. Treatment of this lysate with formalin
ensures viral inactivation. Havrix (R) contains a sterile suspension of
inactivated virus." from the package insert (USA) dated Feb. 1995