virus and cancer

Jeffrey John john0390 at GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU
Sun Jul 16 20:24:50 EST 1995

Greetings fellow researchers,

I want to thank all of you who took the time to write me in responce to a

In this message I would like to discuss the role of herpes viruses and cancer
and would appreciate any comments hypothesises or therioes any of you may
have.The herpes virus I work with is a herpes viru(Lucke Tumor Herpesvirus) that
infects north americam leopard frogs.It was the first cancer to be associated
with a herpes virus and confirmed using Koch postulates.The primary tumor is a
renal tumor, more specifically the tumor seems to arise from epithelial stem
cells of the proximal tubules of the kidney.

I would like any of your in put as to how you think the genome of the herpes
virus plays its role in causing the infected cells to poliferate uncontolablly
and thus become carcinogentic. Could it be the viral genome codes for proteins
or other produts that bind to domains on the host DNA that turn on those genes
that regulate the cell cycle.Or does the viral DNA itself contain with in its
genome oncogenes that cause the host cell to poliferate under the right
circumstances. Possibly a combination of both?

The tumor I work with  also can become metastatic and would appeciate any
comments as to how the herpes viral DNA plays a role if any in this. For my
honors thesis I found through PCR that the virus is found in all secondary
metastatic colonies. Electron microscopic research also supports this data.

Thanks For Your Help!

Jeffrey C. John

 "f¯øP€