virus and cancer

Dirk Dittmer dittmer at
Sun Jul 16 23:52:36 EST 1995

In article <3009bb616c55002 at>, john0390 at GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU
("Jeffrey John") wrote:

> Greetings fellow researchers,
> I want to thank all of you who took the time to write me in responce to a
> In this message I would like to discuss the role of herpes viruses and cancer
> and would appreciate any comments hypothesises or therioes any of you may
> have.The herpes virus I work with is a herpes viru(Lucke Tumor Herpesvirus) that
> infects north americam leopard frogs.It was the first cancer to be associated
> with a herpes virus and confirmed using Koch postulates.The primary tumor is a
> renal tumor, more specifically the tumor seems to arise from epithelial stem
> cells of the proximal tubules of the kidney.
> I would like any of your in put as to how you think the genome of the herpes
> virus plays its role in causing the infected cells to poliferate uncontolablly
> and thus become carcinogentic. Could it be the viral genome codes for proteins
> or other produts that bind to domains on the host DNA that turn on those genes
> that regulate the cell cycle.Or does the viral DNA itself contain with in its
> genome oncogenes that cause the host cell to poliferate under the right
> circumstances. Possibly a combination of both?
> The tumor I work with  also can become metastatic and would appeciate any
> comments as to how the herpes viral DNA plays a role if any in this. For my
> honors thesis I found through PCR that the virus is found in all secondary
> metastatic colonies. Electron microscopic research also supports this data.
> Thanks For Your Help!
> Jeffrey C. John
>  "fP

The DNA genome of small DNA tumor viruses like SV40 encode transforming
proteins for instance large T antigen. Those have (at least) two functions;
1) to transactivate cellular genes including cell cycle regulatory genes
and 2) to bind directly to cell cycle regulatory proteins. I presume your
virus does something similar. There is a slew of literature on that. A good
one is "Fundamental Virology" or "Virology", by Fields and Kipe Raven
Press. I don't know whether the 1995 edition is already out or will be
later this year.
		None of the other herpesviruses is truely transforming, except
Dirk Dittmer
Stanford University School of Medicine
Deptartment of Microbiology and Immunology
Fairchild Building
Stanford, CA 94305-5402
FAX:            USA-415-725-6997
Telephone:      USA-415-723-7393