virus and cancer

g1687jkarh at umbsky.cc.umb.edu g1687jkarh at umbsky.cc.umb.edu
Wed Jul 19 06:35:52 EST 1995

In Article <3009bb616c55002 at gold.tc.umn.edu>
john0390 at GOLD.TC.UMN.EDU ("Jeffrey John") writes:

>....The herpes virus I work with is a herpes viru(Lucke Tumor Herpesvirus) that
>infects north americam leopard frogs.It was the first cancer to be associated
>with a herpes virus and confirmed using Koch postulates.The primary tumor is a
>renal tumor, more specifically the tumor seems to arise from epithelial stem
>cells of the proximal tubules of the kidney.

     Any relation to Herpes ateles or H. saimiri? These are extremely fast
acting lymphoma viruses which are harmless in their natural hosts (monkey
species) but quickly kill other monkey species, and rabbits. Fortunately
they are harmless in humans since they were discovered in a monkey house
outbreak similar to, but prior to, Ebola reston.