Ebola Zaire

Chris A. Pella frog at prairienet.org
Thu Jul 20 04:19:12 EST 1995

In a previous article, poets at ccmail.orst.edu (Steven Poet) says:

>I too am mystified by the concept of predatory viruses suggested in the
>Hot Zone.  This kind of sensationalized "information" tends to lead to
>panic and uninformed political decisions.

I have to agree. The book did tell me some things I didnt know before
but it did rely heavily on sensationalism. For example, Preston made it
a continual point in highlighting people's emotional reactions, particularly
fear, when he described people's reaction to the concept of Ebola. While
people may be scared of Ebola, this fact does not have prime importance
as far as informing the readers is concerned. It did detract from the
value of the book IMHO.