menu

Don Chen chend at ucs.orst.edu
Thu Jul 20 22:40:30 EST 1995

>> Of the four major hepatitis viral infections (A, B, C, E), vaccines are
>> only available for Hep B and Hep C.  These are recombinant vaccines
>> (viral surface proteins secreted by genetically engineered yeast cells).
>> Vaccines are not yet available for Hep A or E, as far as I know.

In the most recent ASM News, there is a report that the FDA has
recently licensed a vaccine for Hep A (Havrix- SmithKline Beecham)
composed of inactivated particles absorbed onto aluminum particles.
This bypasses the need for blood/plasma derived products- eg immune
globulin.

Sleeping we dream what awake we wish,
         Dogs dream of bones, fishermen of fish. - Theocritus
Impoundments are another way of saying,
    "Dam the rivers, damn the fish, and goddamn you."