Ebola Zaire panic

Chris A. Pella frog at prairienet.org
Sat Jul 22 11:52:15 EST 1995

In a previous article, poets at ccmail.orst.edu (Steven Poet) says:

>19.29558B-100000 at isnet>
>
>"Robert Morrell Jr." <bmorrell at isnet.is.wfu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Jul 1995, Steven Poet wrote:
>>

>> > Panic is also a human concept, used to communicate unproductive,
>> > emotional reactions to a stimulus.
>>
>> I do not believe that the word panic automatically implies unproductive
>> response. Clearly in certain cases panic, as Keillor might say, "gives shy
>> people the strenght to get up and do what needs to be done"
>>
>Panic also causes a few novice SCUBA divers, when they encounter a
>situation that is frightening, to hold their breath and swim to the
>surface.  This will kill them.  Without reasonable scientific background,
>it's probably a coin toss that panic will produce the correct response
>to the stimulus.

Another thing about panic and its relationship to disease is that those
who are inflicted with a virus like Ebola can also panic, just like that
nurse Mayinga in Kinshasa did when she found out she was infected. What did
she do? She chased all over the city thereby increasing the probability
of infecting  others. Panic can be beneficial in some ways and harmful in
others depending on the circumstances of the situation.