Ebola Zaire panic

root at nano.none.org root at nano.none.org
Mon Jul 24 14:11:59 EST 1995

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950724091616.24905B-100000 at isnet>, "Robert Morrell Jr."  wrote:
>Clearly viruses do exactly that. This is what I mean by going overboard
>trying to de-anthropomorphize. If a word fits the scenario, and is well
>understood, use it. Next I expect we'll argue whether a tomato is a fruit
>or vegetable!

Friend of mine took a class at Santa Cruz which was essentially a criticism
of science and its methodology.  One author's reading contained arguments
against anthropomorphization of biological concepts.  Her main example was
"immune system as army"-- a concerted, strategic attack with defined roles
played by specific cells.

By the way, a tomato is a fruit, although it visually resembles some
vegetables.