Idea for Ebola Vaccine

Sean Stevens stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Wed Jul 26 15:33:00 EST 1995

Dave Peters <dpeters> wrote:
>I've been wondering....
>Could the Reston form of Ebola somehow be the key to a vaccine for the
>deadly Ebola Zaire virus? Edward Jenner used the cowpox virus to make a
>vaccine for the similar smallpox virus. Could the Reston form of Ebola
>that does not affect humans somehow be used to vaccinate people against
>Ebola Zaire? Please post your comments.

I am not entirely sure where I read this, but I recall that the sera
from the Reston-exposed workers in the infamous 'Hot Plague' book were
inefective at neutralizing any other forms of Ebola in vitro. Since this
was a non-scientific account there was no mention of references, methods
and so forth. Anyone else recall this?

Sean Stevens  The Rockefeller University
stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu