Virus infection mechanism

hsmith at sun.olympia.com hsmith at sun.olympia.com
Thu Jul 27 10:12:06 EST 1995

	Some years ago I did some bootleg research on antiviral therapy and made some interesting
findings about the mechanisms of virus infection.  My company's officers were very impressed.  They gave
me veiled death threats from higher levels, demoted me, and moved my desk to an empty room in the
mouse housing unit.  Wouldn't you know it never occurred to me that a producer of products to treat
symptoms wouldn't be interested in something that would stop an infection?
	So I sent a paper to a leading scientific journal.   The managing editor replied personally,
obviously horrified that my work might endanger their advertising revenues (from companies that produced
products to treat symptoms!).  That's the way the world goes, but it beats the alternative.
	So, now I wonder if there isn't someplace on the Internet where a paper on bootleg research can
be quietly posted so that better minds might pick up the ball and run with it.   Heck, I'm too old to be
bothered any more with death threats and the like.  And I definitely don't like the idea of living among mice.
But the results were interesting, and should be quite an incentive for follow-up by fearless types who don't
worry about things like job security....
	If anyone reads this, and has the time, I really would like to know where such a paper could be
posted so that responsible (and irresponsible) scientists could have a chance to mull it over.  I'm a mad
scientist myself, so I would prefer to hear from the more irresponsble element that is not afraid of new ideas
or of taking risks.