Taura at last

Sean Stevens stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Fri Jul 28 00:33:18 EST 1995

Dear Folks-

A while ago I posted requests for info regarding a vrus referred to in a
NY Times article as 'Taura virus' which was the equivalent of shrimp
Ebola (even the times gets into the hype). The article appeared June 14
and was on page A16. Several of you asked if I had the name incorrect or
if I found anything out to post here. I am happy to say that I didn't
screw the name up, and through the help of several people much more
knowledgeable than myself one article was found and faxed to me by Dr.
Paul Frelier (thanks Paul!) I summarize it here:

D. V. Lightner, R. M. Redman, K. W. Hasson, and C. R. Pantoja

³Taura syndrome in Penaeus vannamei (Crustacea: Decapoda): gross signs,
histopathology and ultrastructure²

Diseases of Aquatic Organisms  Vol. 21 pp. 53-59 (1995)

Abstract:

	Taura syndrome (TS) is an economically important disease of Penaeus
vannamei (Crustacea: Decapoda) that was first recognized in commercial
penaeid shrimp farms located near the mouth of the Taura river in the
Gulf of Guayaquil, Ecuador, in June 1992. The syndrome is now known from
shrimp farms throughout the Gulf of Guayaquil, as well as from single or
multiple farm sites in Peru, Colombia, Honduras, and Oahu, Hawaii, USA.
Both toxic and infectious etiologies for TS have been proposed, but TS
appears to have a viral etiology due to a previously unrecognized agent
now called Taura syndrome virus or TSV. The disease has peracute and
recovery (or chronic) phases, which are grossly distinguishable.
Peracute episodes of TS are the most common manifestation of TS and
occur in juvenile shrimp (of 0.1 to 5.0 g) within 14 to 40 d(ays) of
stocking into grow-out ponds or tanks. Gross signs displayed by moribund
shrimp with peracute TS includeexpansion of the red chromatophores
giving the affected shrimp a pale reddish coloration and making the tail
fan and pleopods distinctly red. Peracutely affected animals usually die
during the process of molting. Those with peracute or acute TS that
survive molting either recover or are chronically affected by TS and
typically display multiple melanized cuticular lesions suggestive of
Œshell disease¹. Shrimp acutely affected with TS display a distinctive
histopathology that consists of multifocal areas of necrosis of the
cuticular epithelium and subcutis (of the general cuticle, gills,
appendages, foregut and hindgut), which are characterized by the
presence of several to extremely numerous, variably sized eosinophilic
to basophilic cytoplasmic inclusion bodies that give TS lesions a
characteristic Œpeppered¹ or Œbuckshot¹ appearance, which is considered
to be composed of an amorphous, granular, electron-dense matrix in which
are often embedded numerous needle-like crystals of presumed calcium
phosphate. The purpose of the present paper is to provide a definition
of TS (based primarily on gross signs and histopathology supported by
electron microscopy) as a basis for future studies on the disease.

	Apparently, this paper, and many of the ones referenced within it, are
not found within medline, hence my difficulties in researching it. The
discussion includes some interesting points. The initially recognized
outbreak in Ecuador coincided with the first aerial spraying of
agricultural fungicides in lands that drained directly into the Taura
basin, and included several sterols. This prompted the theory that one
of the sterols in question, ergesterol, which structurally resembles the
crustacean molting hormone ecdysone, could be responsible for the TS
etiology. This theaory was especially compelling in light of the
peracute deaths at the molting stage. However, a number of industrial
and academic studies have not supported this theory.

	The histopathology, the authors conclude, is consistent with a severe
disruption of calcium metabolism, resutilng in calcium phosphate
accumulation in the affected tissues. Although this may support a toxic
basis for the disease, they state that researchers in Hawaii and Arizona
(in press) have isolated a small (30 nm), icosahedral, cytoplasmic virus
which induces TS when injected into healthy shrimp via cell-free
homogenates. (Brock, J. A., Gose, R., Lightner, D. V., and Hasson, K. W.
(in press) An overview on Taura syndrome, an important disease of farmed
P. vannamei. Proceedings of the special session ŒSwimming Through
Troubled Water¹. J. World Aquacult. Soc.)

	The authors note that although infectious and noninfectious disease of
penaeid shrimp affect the same target tissues, none are sufficiently
similar to be confused with TS. They specifically mention that
infectious hypodermal and hematopoietic necrosis virus (IHHNV) has been
ruled out based upon etiology, histopathology and in situ hybridzation
with IHHNV-specific probes. In addition, yellowhead virus (YHV) can be
distinguished by its predilection for the lymphoid organ, whereas TS
creates no observable effects upon this organ.

	If anyone can get a hold of the article in press, I would appreciate a
copy-there does not seem to be many resources for marine research here
in midtown Manhattan! I would like to thank those of you who expressed
an interest in this and cited this article. In particular I would like
to thank Dr. Paul Frelier at Texas A+M who faxed me a copy of this
article and was such a good sport about my pestering.

	Several people have mentioned to me over e-mail that this smells like a
baculo-related virus. Do these symptoms support this notion or is the
jury still out? I am still intrigued by the timing of the Ecuadorian
outbreak and the fungicidal spraying. Could spraying cause a heightened
mutation rate, creating a more virulent form of a previously weaker
virus? In the NY Times article it is noted that many of the outbreaks
seem to Œjump¹ from place to place (ie Oahu, Hawaii) with no apparent
carrier. Is it possible that there is a quiescent or hidden phase to the
infection, perhaps an integration event that after stress will erupt
into an infectious phase? Also interesting is the fears expressed in the
Times article that the spread of the disease is deliberate-a form of
industrial sabotage. I am curious about the fact that wild shrimp appear
unaffected-although they do not exhibit the disease, has anyone looked
at whether they are carriers?

	Okay, that is more than enough out of me. I am curious how the rest of
you think about this. E-mail me or post here if you would like to talk
some more!

Sean Stevens  The Rockefeller University
stevens at rockvax.rockefeller.edu

P.S.-Can anyone tell me why the line count on all my postings (in
parenthesis after my name) is always (0)?