Seeking info on plague theory

Giovanni Maga maga at vetbio.unizh.ch
Tue Jun 6 08:59:56 EST 1995

In article <3qp3c4$mii at ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, t.page at ix.netcom.com
(Christopher Haley) wrote:

> Hello all,
>     I am currently writing a paper for school on some of the killer
> viruses. I have heard about something called "GAYA OR GIA OR MABE GAEA"
> theorism. I'm obviously not sure of the spelling, however the gist of
> it is that when the world becomes over populated or over taxed it will
> essentilly fight back. Through viruses or what ever other means
> necessary. If any of this rings a bell with anyone, please post the
> correct spelling of it and maybe a source of info.
>
> Thank you, T.Page at ix.netcom.com

The spelling is GAIA, it comes from ancient greek and means earth. The
theory you are referring consists basically in viewing the planet earth as
a living entity, with all the living organisms within (but not humans
strangely) connected through a kind of network and able to *fight back* at
our attempts to corrupt it. It is obviously a pure speculative theory
without any scientific fundament, but some groups of green activists like
it. You can surely find more info by contacting the ones in your city. I
warn you, before considering it, try some more conventional (and reliable)
theory like population genetics, animal ecology etc. which can provide you
with meaningful explanations about the recently emerging viruses. In order
to do so, you can ask your biology teacher for useful pointers.
Good luck.