HIV sequence from virus

Todd Miller - Pharmacology tmiller at newssun.med.miami.edu
Thu Jun 8 13:48:46 EST 1995

In article <3r7bdh$gc9 at ipgate.le.ac.uk>, A.J.Cann <nna at le.ac.uk> wrote:
>Many HIV RNA sequences have been derived by limit-dilution RT-PCR of
>virus particles. They do show significant differences from the prevalent
>(DNA) provirus sequences at any one time. Check out the may references
>by A.Leigh-Brown & P.Simmonds, Edinburgh University.

I looked at the most recent article in January J Inf Diseases and
was referred back to a 1990 paper by the same authors for methods.
All the methods used proviral DNA.

No more wild goose chases for me.  I'm convinced that there is no
sequence data derived from particles, and when this is considered
along with the absence of EM's of pure HIV, I have to doubt it's
existence.  Why isn't this data available?  All you thousands of
scientists working on this and no one can provide me this info.
Hmmmm.

Todd

tmiller at newssun.med.miami.edu