REQ for info on virology

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 12 03:26:37 EST 1995

> From:          ajmst37 at vms.cis.pitt.edu
> Subject:       REQ for info on virology

> I am considering virolology as a career, and was wondering what options
> are out there within virology.  Is it basically research, or are there
> other branches that involve more?
> I was also wondering what schooling was required for positions in virology.
> I am a Junior working toward a bachelor's in Biology, and am planning to
> go on to graduate school, but where do I go from there?

Quotable Quote:

"The starting point for anyone interested in virology is the undergraduate biology major.
Then there is a fork in the road at which the person chooses to seek a degree from a
medical school or veterinary school or to enter a Ph.D program in virology per se. Either
way you go, I can say "it's a wonderful life". "

- Access Excellence's interview with Frederick Murphy

Who could say more?  If you want to earn more money and have more
opportunities in the field, do a medical / veterinary degree first
(you can then do clinical practice); if you are more pure of heart,
do a basic science degree then follow the research route.  You won't
ever get rich, and you'll struggle for a decent job in the filed,
but...it's fun.  And that's why most of us do it, whatever we say.

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

   "And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
      From the profit he's made on your dreams..."