My Candidate for the Ebola Reservoir Organism (was Re:

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Mon Jun 12 03:15:09 EST 1995

See http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ebopage.html for several
reasoned comments on just this issue.

> From:          sputnam at tfb.com (Shan Putnam)
> Subject:       Re: My Candidate for the Ebola Reservoir Organism (was Re: Chimpanzee Ebola outbreak)

> Has anyone considered looking into the possibility that the natural
> reservoir is a plant?  Could this be a very, very rare virus that
> naturally occurs in plants, but when ingested/inoculated (via a thorn)
> into a warm-blood animals it adapts to that host.  I know that the
> outer membrane of the virus is acquired via a "budding" process
> throught eukaryotic cells.  I have read/heard that there has been a
> lot of cash, time and sweat spent looking for it's natural home with
> absolutely no luck.  Just a wild thought.
 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

   "And the man in the suit has just bought a new car
      From the profit he's made on your dreams..."