Kocksaki (?)/ Coxaci Virus ?

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Mon Jun 26 14:42:40 EST 1995

In a previous article, Fred at fgibson.demon.co.UK (Fred Gibson) says:

>Could anyone in this group give me any information regarding the above
>virus - I've only heard the name so the spelling is very tentative. A
>friend of ours tested positive for this after having a severe stomach
>ache and subsequently lost the baby she was carrying, as a result. I
>think it would help her a bit to have some more information than she
>has currently been supplied with, and would be grateful for any
>pointers, spelling or otherwise.
>
>Thanks.

The Coxsackie viruses are a class of virus that fall in the family
Picornaviridae, which includes a number of viruses that cause enteric
infections such as echoviruses and poliovirus.  They can be transmitted by
the "fecal-oral" route (i.e., by contaminated food, unwashed hands, etc.),
or less frequently by aerosols (i.e., coughing).  Any good book on
virology should be able to give you all the information you need.

My sincere sympathy to your friend. Thanks for helping her out.

Prateek Lala,
Department of Microbiology, University of Toronto, Canada
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings