An arbovirus? (Was Re: Strange virus??)

Oberste oberste at fcs260c.ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jun 29 10:05:06 EST 1995

In article <1995Jun27.130703.73910 at ucl.ac.uk> Naveed Panjwani <n.panjwani at lshtm.ac.uk> writes:
>LLV95MPN at lustudat.student.lu.se (Mikael Nicolaidis) wrote:
>> He're in southern Sweden we lately have had a lot of cases of a very quick
>> infecion with flu-like symptoms.
>> The first symptoms usually include stomach illness, with vomating or
>> diarréa then associated symptoms with fever and pain in all major joints
>> and even a few neurological sensations.
>> Onset is sudden and fever and pain usually sets in 3-4 hours later.
>> Most people are well and kicking after 48h or less.
>>
>Naveed Panjwani:
>General febrile illness, joint pain (esp backache),
>and particularly CNS involvement and neurological symptoms are
>indicative also of togaviral or flaviviral mosquito/tick borne viral
>infections. I can't remember exactly now, but I know Chickungunya
>virus and Onyong nyong virus are endemic in Africa and cause a severe
>version of what you describe above.
>
>West and Northern European counterparts exist, look them up.
>If CNS involvement is pronounced, this could be from one of the
>equine encephalitis virus that pathogenise humans.

Chikungunya and O'nyong nyong are both alphaviruses.  The symptoms described
are certainly consistent with alphavirus infection and Ockelbo virus (a
close relative if Sindbis and the cause of Karelian fever) has been isolated
previously in Sweden.  The equine encephalitis viruses (VEE, EEE, and WEE)
are generally found only in the Americas.  See the excellent review by
Peters and Dalrymple, "Alphaviruses," in Fields' Virology, 1990.

-Steve

M. Steven Oberste, Ph.D.                   oberste at ncifcrf.gov
Virology Division, USAMRIID
MCMR-UIV-B, Bldg. 1425, Ft. Detrick