tulip break virus

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Mar 2 03:37:36 EST 1995

> From:          josh at panda.uchc.edu (Josh Goldstein)
> Subject:       tulip break virus
> Sometime back I came across a reference to tulip break virus.  It
streaks> hybrid tulips with color.  And in 17th or 18th centuary,
wild speculations> broke out in Holland leading to tulipomania and
govt. had to intervene to> restore order.

> What are these viruses?
> How they cause color breaks?

A good thing to do would be to get hold of the latest "Plant
Virolgy" by REF Matthews (Academic Press).  This has (as do many
virology texts) a couple of illustrations culled fro old herbals (as
old as 1656, if I rmember correctly) showing the "colour break"
symptoms.  The viruses are a mixed bag, but generally potyviruses (I
think).  As to how they cause the symptoms: not an easy question to
answer.  I can duck it by saying that the virus replication
intereferes with plastid development, and so with colour
development, in petals.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |  (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)  |
 | Dept Microbiology        | University of Cape Town  |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa     |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |  tel: xx27-21-650 3265   |
 |       URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology        |