HERPES SIMPLEX QUESTION

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Thu Mar 2 23:36:29 EST 1995

On 2 Mar 1995, Ali Karami wrote:

>  my wife has recurrent heoes  in her mouth specially lips and aphtos ( I am not
>  sure about spelling) some , she has this problem for long time . is there
>  any vaccine or drug for real treatment ? and why some people are so sensitive
>  to this  ( i nevere had even single herpes in my life ).

I assume that the herpes you refer to is the common oral type?  HSVI?  It
isn't all that different than genital herpes...  There is, as yet, no
vaccine which wouldn't help a person already infected, and there are only
mediocre treatments:  Zovirax is the main one and comes in topical and
oral form.  It can help reduce the period of expression and the
severity.
  That your wife has it and you do not is lucky for you - though it is
more an occassional irritant rather than a real threat.  In any case, it
is important that while sores exist, and up to the point that they are
completely healed, to avoid contact with the lesions (avoid kissing lips
with active sore) or you could then contract it too.  Fingers must not
come into contact (your wife's or yours) with an active lesion and the
eyes:  hygiene is especially important at these times.  It is best to use
seperate towels and washcloths while sores exist since the virions can
last quite a while on moist backgrounds like these.  The same precautions
go for genital herpes.

Any dermatologist should be able to help with questions.

Patrick