Outbreak (the movie)...and SPOILERS!

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Tue Mar 14 12:36:28 EST 1995

On 14 Mar 1995, deborah wisti-peterson wrote:

> i saw outbreak and thought the movie was totally stupid.
> it made scientists look like a bunch of miracle-workers
> that can cure any evil virus-caused disease within days
> of its discovery, it made military officers look like a
> pack of megalomaniacal crazies, and it is so bloody
> inaccurate that i was simply astounded.

Well...I too did go into some of these observations and while the science
and military portrayals were gauling to me, there WAS some great
helicopter action.  Though I certainly agree with your criticisms, I also
was NEARLY able to suspend belief off and on to enjoy the first 1/2 to
3/4 of the movie.  It seemed that the director and editors had been
going, and going, in producing tenseness and action but then realized
that they had to resolve the movie somehow within the last 15 minutes of
the two hours alloted.  Of course, the Andromeda Strain also had this
problem:  Oh look, the space bug has mutated into a harmless form just in
time to resolve the movie! - forgetting that mutator virusesalong those
lines are made up of swarms, forming a quasispecies (like HIV) with some
being harmless, others being reasonably benign, and others being
nasty...all within the same serum.

  If ONLY these producers and directors would consult with ME (or just
about any other scientist - or military officer) they might get a little
more realism into their films.  But I guess reality is too boring, though
I would think that a real Ebola epidemic breaking out would be both
realistic AND scary enough for audiences.

> another inaccuracy; using the monkey
> serum to cure the all of the sick people within the town
> within *hours* of infusion. (like that monkey has that
> much serum!

I did feel sorry for the poor monkey that had to produce enough magic
serum to cure an entire town.  Whatever process they used in the movie to
produce so much effective antibody otherwise...I want that procedure!

Patrick